Saturday, March 22, 2014

We are NOT teaching the Bible!

That's right.  I was shocked when I heard this statement from my professor. What am I here for then?  I came down to school to learn how to teach the Bible.  In fact, this was a class on hermeneutics(how to study the Bible).  I've been struggling and striving to understand my assigned passage in the Bible this week.  I want to get it right.  I'm still an engineer at heart and I want to know exactly what the text is saying.  What's the main point?  What's the context?  Who wrote it?  What was the aim of the original author? What is the application?  I want to get the text right!  I want to teach the Bible!

But what my professor, Steve Leston pointed out in a very loving and straightforward way was that we are not teaching the bible.  We are teaching the Bible TO PEOPLE.  This is not academics.  This isn't merely to be right.  We are giving hope to people who have no hope.  We are holding out new life to people who are at best existing day by day.  The truth is, biblical hope equals certainty.  Not wishful thinking.  Not hoping it will be sunny today.  The hope offered by God through Jesus is certain!

We have been studying Genesis 1-11 recently.  I'm not sure why I forget this so often, but God has so much packed into each book of the bible, each chapter and paragraph declaring who He is, what He is doing, how He is pursuing a people for His own, how He is working, purposing, moving, revealing, sustaining, suffering, purifying, loving, and hold out His grace to a rebellious creation.  Genesis is no exception.

One of the fantastic exercises we did this week was to look at Revelation 21 and Genesis 1-3.  These book ends of the bible are incredible!  Typically we read the beginning of everything in Genesis and much later we read the end in Revelation.  But the similarities and differences between the beginning and end are stunning and worth looking at.  So look at Revelation 21:1-8 and list some of what is there:

Revelation 21:1-8                                          Genesis 1-3
New Heavens and Earth                                       God created Heavens and earth
God is our light                                                     Light created
God said it is done!                                              God rested from His work- Then went back to work
God making all things new                                   Created all things
God with them forever                                         God with them in the garden
No death                                                             Sin produced death
New Jerusalem                                                    Removed from the Garden
No gates                                                             The Garden entrance is blocked
Nothing will be accursed                                      Everything is cursed
Spring of the water of life                                     River to water the Garden
Tree of Life Given/Fruit each month                     Tree of Life off limits after the Fall
Leaves of healing


This is HOPE!  This is what the gospel offers in Jesus.  So l want to always hold out the gospel of hope to family, friends, neighbors, and the world.  So we are teaching the bible, but it isn't for exegetical perfection, but for life and hope in the Author and Perfecter of our Faith! 



28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment